Thursday, July 4, 2013

Excéntricas y Neuróticas

Eccentric and neurotic.

These are two words that many, many fellow teachers have used to describe us. While I agree this is true, and I would happily throw in some other important descriptors, I'd like to think that these two words won't drive our upcoming adventure. Yes, we will be neurotic: at any given point, one or more of us will be worried about something. Yes, we will be eccentric: we are definitely more than a little strange, and I can't imagine that any one of us is fully ready for the others. Many of our fellow teachers have told us that they can't imagine a more bizarre trio of women to go to Santo Domingo. In some ways, I hope we prove them all right. But I also hope that we'll prove to ourselves that we are more than just that.

If you're following this blog, here are the cast of characters for the upcoming adventure:

Maggie - Although she shudders when I call her the wisest of us all, ("It's a euphemism for old!"), Maggie does have 14 years at the Dever-McCormack K-8 School under her belt, and years before that in other BPS Schools.  Maggie describes her Spanish language acquiring skills in this way: "One of you is going to have to make me talk."

Alexis - Our school's Speech and Language Pathologist, Alexis has spent the past few months convincing students that they'd love to invite us over to their families' houses. She's determined to make the most of her time in the DR, and is convinced (and I agree) that the best Spanish we will learn will come from outside of the classroom. Alexis describes her Spanish language acquiring skills in this way: "I'm just going to talk all of the time. Even if it's wrong. Just keep talking."

Kate - Your resident blogger, English/language arts teacher, and youngest of the trio, I have the least experience studying Spanish. I spent 10 days last summer studying Spanish at Dartmouth College, but have otherwise devoted my language learning time to acquiring French. This results in me grasping for French first all of the time. I'm open to making mistakes, excited for new adventures, and happy to write my way through this experience.

We depart on Saturday. Real updates begin then.

Many thanks to the Fund for Teachers for giving us the opportunity to take on this adventure!


No comments:

Post a Comment